The festival of Holi is incomplete without some lip-smacking Gujiyas (Karanji) and chilled Thandai. Am I right? And it becomes even more special if they are homemade. Making Thandai Masala at home is so easy and quick that you literally don’t need to buy it from the stores. Moreover, homemade is pure. There is no artificial flavor or preservative in it and honestly, it tastes much better.
Make your festival more special by making this refreshing and energizing summer drink at home – Thandai.
Other Holi special items that you must make are – Baked Gujiyas and Baked Pani Puri.
What is Thandai?
Thandai is a summer drink that is quite popular to make during the festival of Holi. It is made either with chilled milk or curd. Some people even make it with hot milk. It needs a special Thandai masala or syrup which is made by grinding different dry fruits, poppy seeds, cardamom, black pepper, fennel seeds, rose petals, etc. It is quite refreshing and energizing and much needed after playing Holi.
If you don’t have time, watch the video instead and if you enjoy it, please Subscribe to our Youtube channel too.
Components of Gujiya
- Thandai Powder – It is a powder made by grinding almonds, cashews, black pepper, fennel seeds, poppy seeds, cardamom, saffron, rose petals, sugar, etc. It is quite quick and easy to make at home. Just prepare this and simply add it in some diluted milk and your refreshing Thandai is ready.
- Diluted Milk – Some people make it with just milk without diluting it. I prefer to dilute it. It fels much lighter and refreshing. You can even make it in curd or hot milk.
How to store the Thandai Powder?
You can prepare it at home and store it in an air-tight container. It can last for up to a month at room temperature. You can even store it in the refrigerator.
Is this recipe Vegan?
Yes. This recipe is vegan. All the ingredients used in this recipe are plant-based.
- Thandai Masala – You can add any nuts and seeds in it. You can adjust the ingredients as per your liking.
- Milk – You can use any plant based milk for this recipe. Also, you can make it with any dairy milk or curd alternative.
Now grab all the ingredients because you are ready to make this refreshing drink at home. If you like the recipe and make it, please share the photo on Instagram and tag us too @marriedfriends. We just love to see your recreation of our recipes.
More Holi Recipes to Try
- Baked Pani Puri
- Baked Gujiya
- Besan Ladoo (video only)
Holi Special – Vegan Thandai Masala & Drink
Homemade is the best.
- 1/2 cup Almonds
- 1/4 cup Cashews
- 1 tsp Black Pepper
- 2 tbsp Fennel Seeds
- 2 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 1 to 2 tsp Cardamom Pods
Thandai (Per Glass)
- 1/2 cup Plant Based Milk
- 1/2 cup Water
- A few Ice Cubes
- 1 to 2 tbsp Thandai Powder
- Sugar as needed
- 1 tsp Rose Water
- A Few Strands Saffron
- A Few Rose Petals for garnish
- A Pinch Crushed Pistachio for garnish
- Add all the ingredients to the grinder and grind into a coarse powder. Thandai Powder is ready.
- Add all the ingredients to a glass. Mix and serve chilled.