Crispy, Healthy, and Tasty. You will fall in love with these baked spring rolls that after having them, you will stop deep-frying them. Moreover, baking makes the work so much simpler and easier. No tension of oil leakage, no oily fingers, and the best part is that you don’t feel heavy even after having them for a meal 🙂 So, next time – Bake Spring Rolls.
If you are following my food recipes for a while, you know that I always try to make the recipes healthy with no compromise on the taste. Recently, I saw the veg spring rolls recipe of Your Food Lab. I tried the same recipe at home and it was so tasty that I wanted to have more the next day. But since it was deep-fried, we resist ourselves from having it a lot. Then I decided to make these vegetarian (or vegan) spring rolls recipes healthy.
It took a couple of attempts to crack this recipe. The first time, the sheets did not turn out well. I made from 100 percent whole wheat flour and when I baked the spring rolls, the sheets got cracks and they turned out hard and crispy. Although we liked that too and finished them in a few minutes 😀 But I wanted to make it perfect.
And I did it. Jatin was very happy because he got to eat his favorite spring rolls almost every week when I was testing the recipe. And I was happy because, after many attempts, I cracked the code.
If you are in a hurry, watch the video instead.
HOW TO MAKE SPRING ROLL SHEETS?
There are a couple of methods of making spring roll sheets.
1 – Kneading the dough
This method is simple but a little time-consuming. First, you need to knead the dough and then make small balls from it. Roll a ball into a small circle, keep that aside. Roll another one into the same size, brush some oil on it and place the other rolled sheet on it. Stick them together. Roll again into a large and thin sheet. Place them on a hot Tawa and cook for 10 seconds on each side. Then remove the two joined sheets. Since we applied oil in between the two sheets, they get separated easily. & that’s how you make the sheets for spring rolls. I made a video on this method. You can check that out here.
2 – Liquid Batter
Making spring roll sheets using a liquid batter is much simpler and quicker. I was surprised at how easily I can make spring roll sheets at home. Just make a pouring consistency batter, neither thick nor thin. Heat a pan, sprinkle some water and wipe it off. Now there are two methods of making the sheets. First, add a ladle full of batter on the pan and spread it all over by tilting the pan. Once it is cooked, it will leave the edges. Take it out, sprinkle some cornstarch and leave it aside. Another method is like you make dosa. Add half a ladle of the batter on the pan and spread it in a circular motion. Once done (in about 15 seconds), it will start leaving the edges. Take it out, sprinkle some cornstarch and leave aside.
Both these methods of making sheets using liquid dough are quite easy. I make it like I make dosa because I have a very big pan and it makes giant size spring rolls. But you can try any.
CAN WE MAKE THE SHEETS USING WHOLE WHEAT FLOUR ONLY?
I was trying to make healthy spring roll sheets and in the beginning, I made them using 100 percent whole wheat flour. They turned out good but since they were made of whole wheat flour only, they were getting cracks while baking. Whole wheat flour tends to get dry on baking. That’s why I mixed whole wheat flour with some all-purpose flour. It makes the sheets smooth, thin and you don’t get cracks while baking too.
But honestly, we had the sheets made of just the whole wheat flour and they taste good. So, go ahead and try that.
TIPS TO MAKE IT RIGHT
- The consistency of the batter should not be very thin otherwise the batter will stick to the pan.
- The batter should not be thick. It wil be difficult to spread and you will get a thick sheet. It doesn’t look and taste good.
- Do not over bake otherwise the stuffing inside the spring rolls will turn dark in color.
- Do not apply oil on the pan while making sheets. It would be difficult to spread.
- Do not over cook the sheets and make them crispy. It would tear while rolling.
- Make sure the pan is on medium heat. If too hot, the batter won’t spread well. If cold, it will take a lot of time for the sheets to cook and they will turn dry and crispy.
- Do not over cook the vegetables while making the stuffing. The vegetables will start releasing their moisture. Keep the flame high at all times while making the stuffing.
IS THIS RECIPE VEGAN?
Yes. It is a 100% vegan and plant-based recipe.
Every ingredient in this veg spring rolls recipe is plant-based. These are perfect and tasty vegan spring rolls that even non-vegans must try.
More Vegan Recipes for you to try – fudgy chocolate brownies, hara bhara kebab, Pindi Chole.
MORE PARTY SNACKS RECIPES
Now you are all ready to make these delicious, healthy, and crispy veg spring rolls at home. It is perfect for Friday night parties or when your guests come over. You don’t need to wait for your cheat days to enjoy this deliciousness. So, grab all the ingredients, and let’s get baking.
If you like the recipe, please share the photo on Instagram and tag us too @marriedfriends. We love to see your recreation of our recipes.
Happy Cooking 🙂
Love from us
Richa & Jatin
Non-Fried & Crispy Veg Spring Rolls
Non-Fried, Crispy and Delicious.
Spring Roll Sheets
- 50 g Whole Wheat Flour
- 50 g All Purpose Flour
- 50 g Cornstarch
- Salt to taste
- 300 - 320 ml Water
- 2 tbsp Spring Onion Bulbs finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Ginger finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 cup Red Onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup Capsicum julienned
- 1 cup Carrot julienned
- 1 cup Cabbage shredded
- 2 tbsp Cooking Oil
- A pinch Black Pepper Powder
- 2 tsp Green Chilli Paste
- 2 tbsp Tomato Ketchup
- 1 tbsp Red Chilli Sauce
- 2 tsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tsp Red Chilli Paste
- 1 tsp Vinegar
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/4 cup Spring Onion Greens chopped
- Cornstarch to sprinkle
- 2 - 3 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- Water as needed
- Cooking Oil to brush
Spring Roll Sheets
- In a bowl, add all the dry ingredients. Mix.
- Add water in parts and whisk well. There should not be any lumps. The batter should have pouring consistency but should not be very thin.
To check the consistency, pour some batter using a spoon. The batter should stick to the spoon and should be easily pourable.
- Keep it aside for 10-15 minutes. The flours will absorb the water. Adjust the consistency accordingly, if needed.
- To cook sheets, heat a non-stick pan. Keep the flame medium.
- Sprinkle some water on the pan and wipe it off using tissue paper. This step needs to be done before making each sheet.
It balances the temperature of the pan and prevents the batter from sticking to the pan.
- Add a few drops of oil to the pan and wipe it off using the same tissue paper. This step needs to be done at the start only.
- Pour half a ladle of the batter at the center of the pan and spread it in a circular motion from the back of the ladle. Spread it into a thin sheet.
- In about 15-20 seconds, the sheet will start to leave from the edges. Remove it gently from the pan and put it on a plate.
- Dust some cornstarch to prevent sticking the two sheets together.
- Repeat the same steps - sprinkle some water on the pan, wipe it off, pour the batter and spread, take the sheet out, place on top of the previous sheet, dust some cornstarch.
- Once done, cover the sheets using a damp cloth till you are ready to roll.
- Heat some oil in a pan.
- Add ginger, garlic, and spring onion bulbs. Saute and cook for 1-2 minutes. Keep the flame high at all times.
- Add all the vegetables - onion, capsicum, carrot, and cabbage.
- Add all the seasoning ingredients - black pepper, green chili paste, tomato ketchup, red chili sauce, red chili paste, soy sauce, vinegar, and sugar. Mix and cook for 2 minutes only.
Keep the flame high. Do not cook for long else the veggies will leave their moisture.
- Switch off the flame and add spring onion greens. Mix well.
- Finish it off with a little sprinkle of corn starch. Mix well. Take the stuffing out in a bowl.
Cornstarch absorbs some moisture from the stuffing.
- In a bowl, add all-purpose flour and water. Whisk well. There should not be any lumps. The consistency of the slurry should be thick.
Roll & Bake
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celsius, fan setting.
- Take a sheet and place around 1-2 tbsp of the stuffing towards your side of the sheet and not at the center. Spread the stuffing a little. Leave around 2-inches from the sides.
- Fold from the left and right sides first. Apply some slurry on the two folds. Then fold from the side closer to you and keep rolling till you reach the end of the sheet.
- Apply some slurry at the end part of the sheet and roll over. It will be perfectly glued. Repeat the same steps for the rest of the sheets.
- Place all the spring rolls on a lined baking tray. Brush some oil all over. Bake at 200 Degrees Celsius for 30-35 minutes or till it is slightly brown.
- Once done, take them out and serve with some sweet chili sauce or ketchup. Enjoy crispy and healthy spring rolls at home :)